3: What is a Protestant?
January 3, 2020 Series: Who Are We: An Introduction to COG
The Five Solas of the Reformation
- Sola Fide – Faith Alone
- No human effort can save, only faith.
- Sola Gratia – Grace Alone
- Faith must be recieved as the gracious gift of God. It cannot be bought, earned, or manufactured.
- Solus Christus – Christ Alone
- Saving faith has Christ as its object. It's him in who we believe.
- Sola Scriptura – Scripture Alone
- Scripture is the only ultimate rule for faith and practice. It is perfect.
- Soli Deo Gloria – To the Glory of God Alone
- Above all, God is interested in his own glory - which is exactly as he should be. The way that he saves us is also to his own glory, so that no man might boast.